swinler

Piraya

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

• MOTM: Aug 05, May 06,
  • Country

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

Who is successfully keeping any catfish with their piranhas?

It's not something I've tried but have read about some people that keep plecs with their Ps. I think it would always end in tears in the long run.

#2 Guest_Paul_*

Guest_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:09 AM

I have a couple of small plec's in my pygo tank and so far the only get chased about sometimes!

I the day i never see them unless it's water change day and then moving the bog-wood they then swim off the the glass!

They have been in there about a year now and so far only one loss, but not eaten just found one dead :sad:

Paul.

#3 Stinger

Stinger

Caribe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

Hi swinler, I know this is a bit off topic but whats the species of piranha on your avatar?

cheers

mark.

#4 Stinger

Stinger

Caribe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:26 AM

its ok mate i read your other posts and know what it is now, nice fish!

#5 swinler

swinler

Piraya

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

• MOTM: Aug 05, May 06,
  • Country

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

lol - ok! thanks for the comments.

#6 chriscollier

chriscollier

Caribe

• Elite Member
  • PipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer and fishkeeping. Also enjoy football and ice hockey.

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

I dont think anyone can actually say that catfish can be mixed with p's for life, but there are afew people, especially on pfury that can say it can work for large amounts of time. I think the trick is to have LOADS of hiding places, and use skittish plecs like alot of the L numbers are so they will spend most of the time hiding away, and when they do come out they are very aware of whats going on around them. Oh and always keep the p's well fed!

#7 Guest_Paul_*

Guest_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

I dont think anyone can actually say that catfish can be mixed with p's for life, Oh and always keep the p's well fed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good advice Chris!

A p with a full belly is less likely to attack a pleco

#8 Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan

Piraya

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Country

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

I have 3 large ish plecs (16", 13", and 9") with 2x 7" SRBP's and 1x 4" large toothed piranha, and a shoal of neons. No problems so far. Only slight sign of any aggression is when the 2 reds know foods about to be put in and they do that " ring" dance nippin each others sides.

#9 charles

charles

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:01 PM

the neons dan,are they feeder fish like i would think, or do the p's leave em alone. i noticed in your video you have a lot of vegetation in your tank, which i'd imagine would creat a lot of cover for em'.

#10 Dexy

Dexy

Caribe

• Elite Member
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

I have kept neons with my P before. Yes as long as you provide good cover, keep ur Ps well fed then u can have some success. It also depends on the size of your P's the bigger they are compared to the neons its almost like they are too small to be bothered with eating them.

It also comes down to the individual piranha.....some are just super agro and willl just savage anything. My solitary RBP on other hand is a big girls blouse

:wacko:. I have a red-tail black shark in there who has been there for about 18mnths who chases my P around the tank. I have a 3-4" plec and the only reason i dont have neons is went to glasgow on a 1 1/2 ######-up and came back an they had been eaten :th_oops:

Dexy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users