Marky

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Beer, cars and fish!
  • Country

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

Hi all, I'm a long term member but infrequent poster.
Anyway I have learnt plenty from reading the threads on here, and have noticed how quiet it has gotten lately, so I thought I'd make a new thread as I'm moving tanks.

I've got a Peru Black Rhom, I've had him 18 months or so.
He's called Basil and is currently around 7inches.
He was tiny when I got him, thumb nail size.

He's fairly slow growing, which I put down to his nervousness, which makes him a very shy eater.

He's always been this way, there's no real reason for it.

Any way he's starting to be a little more forward now, even biting at me through the glass when he's hungry, although he's only done this a few times.

He's currently housed in a Juwel Rio 400 in the bedroom, but due to work commitments I've just closed my Reef tank in the lounge, so I will be moving Basil into there.

I'm filling the tank as we speak.

It's a 5x2x2 with a 180litre sump which is ideal for housing the heater... Basil enjoys breaking his.

I have a wier in the left corner, and the return pipe in the right, plus a wavemaker for circulation, although I've taken 1 out so there's not to much movement.

Lighting is by LED. He's being spoilt as it's a £600 system for my corals... but he should look fab.

Filtration is via alfa grog and various size floss in the sump with carbon if needed.

The tank will be heavily planted with giant vallis and the substrate is black sand/fertiliser mix.

Obviously it will be a few days before the planting begins, to allow the milkyness to clear and the tank to stabilise.

Any way that's it for now, I need to attend to the tank as it's nearly full.

Pics will follow later.

Cheers all.

#2 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 8,174 posts

• MOTM: May-09, Sep-09, June 10, Sept 10. MOTY as staff 2010
  • POTM:
    NP Mar08, Aug08, NP Oct08, Nov08, NP Feb09, Feb 09, NP June 09, NP Nov 09, Nov 09, Apr 10, June 10, Aug 10, NP Oct 2010, NP Dec 2010, Jan 2011. NP Feb 2011. May 2011, NP June 11, NP Oct 11, May'June 2012
  • Country

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hi Marky, yes rhoms are slow growing, it will only grow about an inch a year from now on. People alway say that you will never get the big squared jaw on a tank raised rhom, I can vouch for this. I had mine from around 3 inches, grew to 6 inches in the first year in a 350 litre tank. Had him for 7 years and only got to 11.5 inches. Fascinating fish though and I hated to let him go but circumstances made it necessary. He will enjoy a full planted tank, will probably get a lot bolder. I look forward to the pictures.

#3 Marky

Marky

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Country

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hi Den sorry it's taken me forever to reply... work and family life tend to get in the way!
Yes my Rhom.. Basil.. is a funny fella, incredibly shy and skittish, until he's hungry, then he marches up and down the glass looking for his prawns.
I can't find anything else he will eat at the moment.

His new home is currently cycling, Ammonia is finally on the rise
Once it's cycled I'll plant the tank then add Basil.
I'm dreading catching him though, he's such a powerful fish.

I will remember to pop up some pictures, but I'm not sure how to do it on my phone, so I'll need to use the lap top!

#4 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 8,174 posts

• POTM:
    NP Mar08, Aug08, NP Oct08, Nov08, NP Feb09, Feb 09, NP June 09, NP Nov 09, Nov 09, Apr 10, June 10, Aug 10, NP Oct 2010, NP Dec 2010, Jan 2011. NP Feb 2011. May 2011, NP June 11, NP Oct 11, May'June 2012
  • Country

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi marky, get yourself a large see through container to catch him in, rather than a net, something with a lid so you can trap him and put the lid on. Much less stressful and easier to do, then move him to the new tank and let him come out on his own.

#5 Marky

Marky

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Country

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Well hes in his new home.. and he seems to love it!

He sleeps in his cave, but he spends a lot of time time patrolling the tank, something hes not done before!

Any way time for some pictures! 

20161130_143137_zpscpjsg3ea.jpg

20161128_201549_zpsqkg4nfse.jpg

20161128_201551_zps2k8fn9rw.jpg

#6 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 8,174 posts

• POTM:
  • Country

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

Great looking fish, I always find that the plants seem to make them feel more at ease, they look like Vallisneria americana, they can grow to over a metre in length. I had a tank full of them at one time, I made the mistake of cutting the tops off, they all went brown, looked terrible.

#7 Marky

Marky

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Country

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Yes Den you're correct about the plants.

I pinched them from another tank...  believe it or not they are all baby's snipped from the runners, so hopefully they should well.  They are still a nice green, so Im hoping they will flourish.

When Basil was in his earlier tank with just wood for deco he really wasn't happy at all.The plants definitely made him bolder.

In his new home he is happier than I've ever seen him, hes always swimming up and down the glass now, only going in his cave at night to slee.

I'm wondering if the lights are calming him to.  His old home had 2 juwel tubes, were as his new home has LED with phased lighting.

It comes on gradually as a sun rise in a reddy orange colour, then brightens into daylight over an hour, then at night it does the reverse, finishing with a very dim moonlight.

Ive got the intensity turned very low to.

My only issue with the tank is the blue background.

I'd prefer black but I painted it blue for the reef tank!

Doh! 

#8 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 8,174 posts

• POTM:
  • Country

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

I painted some of my tanks in blue, only because I had a gallon of it, but must admit black makes the plants stand out and seems to add depth to the tank. My 8x2x2 had a blue background but I added some very thin black acrylic sheet to the inside, it has stayed in place with the gravel holding the bottom and some rocks laid against it at the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users