#1 PiranhaChris

PiranhaChris

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Country

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hi guys from the title as you can see its a mixture between the two (cheap brand). My filter seems to put more crud in the water than collect. I disconnect all electrics. Clean my glass because i have this white mould stuff i can get rid of. Carfully vacuum sand and drain 25-30% of water. So everything being nice and bonny and neatened up. I replace fresh water de-chlor etc. Come to switch the filter back on. A load of cloudy crap comes out with chunk/flacks of this mould stuff. Now watching the movement of flow it doesnt seem to suck it back up. Iv installed a airline to get some more circulation to try and improve even at different pressures. Iv also tried to take an extension out of the inlet to raise up but nothing of notice has changed just same effect. I cant move anything because there fixed placed due the glass lid. Inlet and outlet are at opposites. This is the first time iv used a caniter filter the f-in thing seems like more hassle as oppsed to an internal. Iv thought about adding a couple fans to make a current towards the inlet but every other large F/water iv seen doesnt seem to have this issue. This tank has been cursed from the start lol. Any help guys it much appreciated i really am lost in what i can do here. They say fish tank are relaxing lol

#2 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Admin
  • 8,176 posts

• MOTM: May-09, Sep-09, June 10, Sept 10. MOTY as staff 2010
  • POTM:
    NP Mar08, Aug08, NP Oct08, Nov08, NP Feb09, Feb 09, NP June 09, NP Nov 09, Nov 09, Apr 10, June 10, Aug 10, NP Oct 2010, NP Dec 2010, Jan 2011. NP Feb 2011. May 2011, NP June 11, NP Oct 11, May'June 2012
  • Country

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

The gunk flying around the tank is most probably from inside the filter pipes, tends to happen once cleaned and flow is more powerful. Your pickup pipe and outlet pipe should be at the same end because the outlet should cause a motion that returns to the pickup. Make sure you have packed the filter properly and nothing can get past the media. I have 7 external filters running at the moment and rarely have problems, I only check them when the flow slows down. The problem with internal filters is the fact that they aren't big enough to cope with your size tank.

#3 PiranhaChris

PiranhaChris

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Country

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

Oh... everything i have read up on suggest either ends of the tank for placement. Even in books not just online. Also placing then at the same end is not possible as the glass lid has only one corner cut off and there isnt much room because of the strenght braces. Would shortening the hoses more improve flow and quality as appose to adding fans
The gunk is like white mould that grows on the insode of the tank. Always been there since setup cant get rid of it. It just grows and flakes off then doesnt seem to reach the intake or skim pipe

#4 vinny

vinny

Piraya

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

• MOTM: May 11, July 11
  • POTM:
    NonP Apr 10, NonP Nov 10, NonP May 11,
  • Country

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

unfortunately alpond range arnt the strongest filters  I run 2 1200s in a 100 gallon 1 at each end of the tank they are what they are cheap canister filters ,,,,that's not to say they don't do the job ...if you want a filter to suck a golf ball through a hose pipe you need to go for an fx5   lol

note_  if you have the inlet say on the left hand side of your tank a small power head pushed low directed to the right side will push all the bottom junk towards the in let in a circular like flow with out blowing it violently around the tank

#5 recci

recci

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Country

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

There is now smaller version of the fx6 called the FX4, wish i had got that rather than the trash can sized fx6.

#6 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Admin
  • 8,176 posts

• MOTM: May-09, Sep-09, June 10, Sept 10. MOTY as staff 2010
  • POTM:
    NP Mar08, Aug08, NP Oct08, Nov08, NP Feb09, Feb 09, NP June 09, NP Nov 09, Nov 09, Apr 10, June 10, Aug 10, NP Oct 2010, NP Dec 2010, Jan 2011. NP Feb 2011. May 2011, NP June 11, NP Oct 11, May'June 2012
  • Country

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

If you can house the FX6 they are a great filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users