Romford

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Drop bye and av a pint *GET IN*
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Please read kinda my mate has the crappiest fish tank ever no air stone or water movement all his piranha have swollen gills his 14 and RETARDED, his friend of his wanted a change and gave him a 9-10 inch piranha to him and he threw it in the tank phoned me up AWWW MATE this piranha looks wiked i was like allright ill give it 2 days before it dies give it to me and ill keep the sucker alive, about 27 hours later at 12 olock last night he called me *THE FISH IS ON ITS SIDE FLOATING GOING UPSIDE DOWN WHAT TO DO* i said ill come over and pick it up put it in ma quarentine tank and see if it survives, got it home and put is in its own lil tank lovely water all readings were optimal perfect lil tank air pump in there filter in there, he was just swerling about still breathing u can see his gills move, when he aimed downwards he would try swim only useing his back fin, he would get to the bottum of the tank stop and float back up not useing his side fins at all, woke up this morning and his doing the same thing this morning *the question is* when should i pull the plug on this big sucker or is there anything i can do apart from kill my mate his got 5 other baby p's in there that iv managed to persuade him to give me hopefully thell make a full recovery, iv had my p's for about 2 months and there about 4 inches long and 2 inches high i got then very small his had his p's for 5 months and mine are already bigger just goes to show it aint the tank that stops them growing its the quality of the water any adive would be welcome thank gys i hope to hear from use VERY SOON

*TANKS ALOT * smile.gif

Edited by Romford, 02 February 2009 - 07:47 AM.

#2 Romford

Romford

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

its like the lights are on but no body is home i cant work it out

#3 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 7,883 posts

• MOTM: May-09, Sep-09, June 10, Sept 10. MOTY as staff 2010
  • POTM:
    NP Mar08, Aug08, NP Oct08, Nov08, NP Feb09, Feb 09, NP June 09, NP Nov 09, Nov 09, Apr 10, June 10, Aug 10, NP Oct 2010, NP Dec 2010, Jan 2011. NP Feb 2011. May 2011, NP June 11, NP Oct 11, May'June 2012
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

I think you are doing all you can at the moment. Keep the water level low so there is less pressure. Keep the tank shaded, plenty of aeration, do very small water changes every few hours, say 10%, and then all you can do is wait. Its system has been poisoned and it has a 50/50 chance of survival. I have seen a fish in this state before and despite all the care, it died. Good luck with it, I think everyone is either at work today or trying to cope with the snow, keep us posted.

#4 Romford

Romford

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

10.27 no state change still breathing, and gives the occasional flap should i keep him up right? or just let him do his upsidown, rightway up sideways thing?

#5 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 7,883 posts

• POTM:
    NP Mar08, Aug08, NP Oct08, Nov08, NP Feb09, Feb 09, NP June 09, NP Nov 09, Nov 09, Apr 10, June 10, Aug 10, NP Oct 2010, NP Dec 2010, Jan 2011. NP Feb 2011. May 2011, NP June 11, NP Oct 11, May'June 2012
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Romford @ Feb 2 2009, 10:27 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10.27 no state change still breathing, and gives the occasional flap should i keep him up right? or just let him do his upsidown, rightway up sideways thing?

Don't touch it, you will just stress it even more. Keep the water level low.

#6 Romford

Romford

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

11.51 eyes moved and it took a massive gulp hasnt moved its mouth since i got it apart from that lil breathing thing inside it but yeah he moves his jaw like a yawn looks good and i have him in about a 1ft of water that enough or does it need to be more shallow?

#7 Den

Den

Forum Management

• Co Admin
  • 7,883 posts

• POTM:
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

Make it about 9 inches, keep most of the light out as well. You could try adding some tonic salt as well, not sure of the mixture though. Have a look in the injury and disease forum, I think there's something there.

#8 Romford

Romford

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

12.35 his top fin is now moving he looks like his trying to keep himself upright, gills seems to be opening wider..

p.s Big Den youve been a rock lol

Update: added salt hope this guy pulls threw, strange thing is he looks like a red bellied piranha but he aint got no red at all on him, weird oh well lovely looking monster

#9 Tony P

Tony P

Piraya

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

hows this guy doing, any progress??

#10 Romford

Romford

Red belly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Country

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

16:54 a little more movement not much, but he seems to be going up and down in the tank, it looks like his trying to sort out his swim bladder to get himself at the right lvl, his currently ingolfed in bubbles giving him lots of air just done a water change fresh decloronated water, but yeah temps spot on params are well perfect not sure what else to do apart from taking him to the local A+E department lol how long should i wait his gills are still moving and he does a lil swim now and then theres a number of facters

1. how longs it take to get out there system if they are *poisend*
2. am i just prolonging its death
3. could i be doing it harm by all this fresh water bubble bath his getting

lol not a clue can anyone give me some more advice about the above or what i can do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users